Monday, January 2, 2012

Working notes: black locust

One of the  things I'd hoped to discuss here is some of the lesser known or less frequently found woods we carry. We have come across decent logs of different species that we have sawn into lumber or turning blanks that simply are not commercially known or found in the commodity channels. Your only other chance at finding some of these woods is the rural sawyer who does just what we do: saws the good ones of whatever comes in. Every species has some use.

Black locust is easily pigeonholed because of its extraordinary rot resistance. I think the only domestics in the same league are osage orange and mesquite. All get used for fence posts. Like osage and mesquite though, locust has enough strength and visual appeal to be more than fence posts. (Mesquite does not grow in this area).

I recently found myself working some black locust for an outdoor trellis and thought I'd share what I have been dealing with. I almost wrote "struggling with". Black Locust is no beginner wood; it is difficult to work with in several ways: it is extremely hard, so your tools had better be sharp. It seems to wear tool edges fairly quickly too. It is prone to tear-out if you ever go against the grain. Frankly, my experience is that these same problems are common with hard maple and oak or hickory, but maybe the locust seems worse because it is harder and more dense than any of those. (It is harder when green than oak or hickory is when dry). Fortunately, these issues are not critical for outdoor trellises. And like most any difficult wood, proper care and attention can get you around these challenges. It glues and takes screws just fine.

Black locust also scores high on Tom's Blood List; I seem to have left more DNA on this project than I have on any walnut or cherry job. Those sharp edges simply slice open my knuckles when Mr. Clumsy whacks his hand into an edge.

Okay, so it has issues. But even aside from its rot resistance, I could see preferring it, even on indoor furniture. I do not make many chairs, but I think this wood has everything a chair demands of a wood: strength with beauty. The greenish tinge of the wood can be considered attractive or colored a bit. Outdoors it turns the silvery gray many woods turn.

Our sample:



Like osage and mesquite, black locust logs of quality are rare. The tree seems to grow with internal checks that can spoil an otherwise clear board. So if the project is a chair, expect some waste. We do not see many decent logs, but we always seem to have a hundred board feet or more in the bin in 4/4 through 8/4.

If you like working a more challenging wood for the rewards that come with successfully doing so, consider black locust. It has the kind of hard density that takes a fine polish, and few things say " fine work" like a tough-as-nails shiny finish. Or, just use it out of doors.

Here is a nice board I found from the web:




5 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff. Got any pics of the stuff you've made from the black locust? Probably see you on Sat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a picture of the trellis on the Gallery page.

      Delete
  2. Black Locust is one of my favorite woods for turning. It makes spectacular small boxes with fine details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about its lathe usefulness. I suppose the same could be said about osage and mesquite too; these very hard woods that take a high polish are excellent woods for turning!

      Delete
  3. I also love black locusts because of its durability and quality. Great blog anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete